Friday, November 8, 2013

Never say never ~ Jeanette Bunn


A wise person once said, “Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day.” Did you know that your thoughts tend to reflect your attitude toward yourself and others, and can even affect your health and well-being? Do you see the glass half-empty or half-full? How about taking the opportunity during this month when we celebrate what we’re thankful for to increase your positive thinking? Here are a few tips that work for me that I’d like to share with you.

 

Practice positive talk to yourself and others. Sounds easy, doesn’t it? But how many times have you found yourself saying, “I can’t…”, “why does this happen to me?”, “what if I fail?” Here are some examples of how to turn negative thoughts into positive ones.

Negative thought                                         Positive thought

This is such a problem                                This is an opportunity to learn

I can’t do that                                                I will do my best

I’m not sure I can                                         I’ll see what I can do

I’m overwhelmed                                          I’m quite busy

I can’t lose weight                                        I can eat healthier

I have no time to exercise                           I will make time to exercise

 

Surround yourself with positive people. Sometimes we don’t notice those around us who seem to walk under a dark cloud and try to drag us underneath. Remember, misery loves company! Negative people can increase your stress levels and make you doubt yourself. Surround yourself with people who are supportive, willing to offer advice and help anytime you ask.

 

Take time to find humor and laugh every day. Not every day goes well or is full of happy moments. That’s why it’s especially important to give yourself a break and the opportunity (and the permission) to smile and laugh. Watch a funny movie, listen to and tell a few jokes, have a drink with your friends, play with young children – it’s easy to squeeze a few of these in your daily life.

 

If you’re looking for a few more ideas to increase your positive thoughts and see the glass half-full, I recommend this great short book called The 100 Simple Secrets of Happy People: What Scientists Have Learned and How You Can Use It by David Niven. What positive thoughts to do you tell yourself most often? What keeps you motivated every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment